What is Thanksgiving though? It's different for everyone. For me, its a week off of school, a whole day for me to cook with my mom in the kitchen, stuffing yourself with delicious foods, watching the Macy's day parade, and looking forward to all the leftovers.
But I didn't have that this year. On that Thursday, I knew it was Thanksgiving but it wasn't shown anywhere. It was like living in an alternate universe.
Everyone in the program is in a different city in Germany. There are three of us in Berlin. Hector, T-mac, and myself. Every city has an Area Representative. Mine is named Grit. Some get more involved with their exchange students than others. Grit is very good because she tends to stay pretty involved. We do something with her at least once or twice a month.
A while back she met a man and planned to make a big Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant and teach several people about Thanksgiving. The catch was Hector, T-mac and I had to be the one's to teach about Thanksgiving. We were to "entertain people" before the food came. So, we arranged to talk about a little history and then tell about the day itself now. Then we performed 3 songs. One song was one we wrote ourselves (I played the piano, Hector played the guitar, and T-mac sang). The second song was just a piece I played on the piano and the third was a piece Hector played on the guitar.
Everthing went well and after we performed we got to sit down, relax and have a German version of Thanksgiving. We ate pumpkin soup, turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, and cranberry sauce. We even had pumpkin pie for dessert. But there was still something missing. The food just didn't taste as good as the food I make with my mom on Thanksgiving. The pie didn't really look like pumpkin pie (even though it was still tasty). Maybe is was the fact that I didn't get to cook with my mom, or the lack of leftovers that last for days, or no Macy's day parade or no black friday shopping. But hey, there's always next year!
These pictures are of T-mac with a breadstache, my plate with turkey, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, and some kind of potato thing, and pumpkin pie.

No comments:
Post a Comment