I also managed to twist my ankle on Monday. I went to see the doctor about it. The office was small and clean. The nurses I met were nice and wore outfits of all white. They wrapped my foot and wrote me a prescription for a cream which I rubbed on my ankle a few times a day. Germans are not big into hard drugs or anything like that and are more into herbal type treatments. Obviously you can still get medicine here but something as simple as headache medicine is much weaker here. Since Americans are so used to having a stronger headache medicine, you have to take three times as much to be relieved of your pain.

The fire station was interesting, but it wasn't really any different from the fire stains back in the states. The coolest part was that every truck has a ladder on it that goes up 23 meters and I got to go up on that ladder. It was scary, but I got some good pictures of the city from there.

The Koln Dome is beautiful and shows off gothic architecture at it's finest. They started to build the Dome in 1248 and didn't finish until 1880. There are two towers to the Dome and you can actually go up one of them to get a great view of the city of Cologne. So, we did. The tower consists of 517 steps to the top. There's no other way to get there. And even with my bad ankle I made it up. YAY!

On friday our group got together that evening for a BBQ in what seemed like the middle of nowhere. It got cold and rained but we still had a blast. The Eagle scouts in our group (all 3 of them) put themselves in charge of making the fire and managing the food (this BBQ did not consist of a grill but a small fire and food wrapped in tin foil and placed on hot coals). It was a pretty fun night and it proved that no matter the circumstances, with the right people and the right attitude you can always have fun in Germany.

On saturday there was a beer festival where you could buy a beer from almost anywhere in the world. A few of us decided to go check it out and taste some beer. I had a special Guiness that had an alcohol content of 7.5 % and can only be bought in somewhere like the Caribbean. That was the only beer I had that night for an obvious reason. Then we went out clubbing for a second time. I love to dance and the clubs are fun but sometimes I dislike it for a number of reasons. The smoke, the sweat, the temperature. You come out smelling god awful and then when you get home at 2 or 3 am you're too tired to shower and you don't want to wake anyone so you go to bed smelling and feeling gross. And you can never fully get that smell out of your hair in one wash. But when in the club and dancing with friends, I do have a lot of fun.

No comments:
Post a Comment